The WFD is pleased to share our Position Paper on the Complementary or diametrically opposed: Situating Deaf Communities within ‘disability’ vs ‘cultural and linguistic minority’ constructs in written English and International Sign.
This Position Paper was initially drafted by the late Ms Elena Down (Coordinator of the WFD Expert Group on Human Rights) and Dr Robert Adam (Coordinator of the WFD Expert Group on Sign Language and Deaf Studies). The paper was edited by Dr Robert Adam and Ms Eeva Tupi (WFD Human Rights Officer/Interim Team Leader).
The WFD thanks to the different experts from academic, organisations and other persons for their comments and views on the position paper. Thanks to Dr Robert Adam to provide in International Sign and past WFD President Colin Allen to finalise this Positon Paper.
Here is the list of persons who have commented:
· Dr H-Dirksen L. Bauman, Gallaudet University
· Dr Breda Carty, Macquarie University
· Ms Roberta J. Cordano, Gallaudet University
· Dr Maartje De Meulder, University of Namur
· Dr Phil Harper, Coordinator of the WFD Expert Group on Accessibility and Technology
· Ms Deborah oyuu Iyute, Former Board Member of the WFD
· Dr Annelies Kusters, Heriot-Watt University
· Professor Ceil Lucas, Professor Emerita, Gallaudet University
· Ms Victoria Manning
· Mr Alastair McEwin, Australian Human Rights Commission
· Dr Soya Mori, University of California, Berkeley
· Mr Ambrose Murangira, Light For The World
· Dr Ronice de Quadros, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
· Dr Tove Skutnabb-Kangas, Åbo Akademi University
· Dr Kristin Snoddon, Coordinator of the WFD Expert Group on Deaf Education