Our 2020 brought new challenges and new opportunities!
2020 saw new challenges for global deaf communities and the World Federation of the Deaf quickly mobilized to meet these challenges. In this year-end video, you can see a review of how the WFD and our partners worked to ensure deaf people continued to secure full human rights during the global pandemic. This year saw a number of successes including,
- A new grant from the Nippon Foundation on Sign Language Rights.
- An expanded projects portfolio with an expanded WFD Office.
- New staff, including our first staff members from the Global South.
- The WFD on a more sustainable financial footing with an expanded funding base.
- A new focus on intersectionality in our human rights work.
- Celebrations of the 25th Anniversary of the World Federation of the Deaf Youth Section.
As we head into 2021, the WFD will continue to work to meet changed circumstances. Among other things, we will launch a series of human rights webinars, inaugurate a web-based human right training platform, and, as always, continue to serve the global deaf community.
In 2021, the WFD celebrates its 70th Anniversary!
The WFD celebrates its 70th Anniversary in 2021. We have launched this special 70th Anniversary logo to commemorate our 70 years of work for sign languages and deaf people’s human rights. We will have an exciting program for 2021!