Call for Application 2017
We are pleased to invite practitioners to apply for the WFD-WASLI International Sign Interpreter Accreditation. Only completed applications accompanied by all supporting documents will be considered. The deadline is 6 October 2017, EET 12:00. Send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. A summary of what needs to be done is as such:
- Read the requirements to ensure that you are eligible to apply.
- Ensure that you have read all the relevant documents needed for the application.
- Email email@example.com to book time-slots for the Interpretation Task(s) and set-up a CANVAS student account in order to receive instructions to the Interpretation Task(s) one week in advance (updated: 12 September 2017)
- Complete the Interpretation Task(s) by the stated deadline.
- Make payments for the processing fee.
- Complete the Application Form and include all supporting documents by 6 October 2017.
- Set, maintain and promote standards in International Sign Interpretation
- Promote a quality-assurance system for credentialing practitioners
- Maintain a register of WFD-WASLI Accredited International Sign Interpreters
- Proficiency in International Sign
- Proficiency in English
- Proficiency in national sign language and national spoken and/or written language
- Five years of experience in interpreting for conferences at national level in the national sign and spoken languages
- Three years of experience in International Sign interpreting at international or regional events
- Ability to work in team environments
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Proficiency in another national sign language
- Proficiency in another spoken/written language
- Application Form.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Letter of Interest (written and in International Sign)*
- One (1) soft copy of passport photo.
- Copies of certificates of general educational qualifications (school certificates, college or university diplomas or degrees).
- Copies of national interpreter qualifications (training, accreditation or recognition)**. Complete the template in Appendix A to list the trainings you have attended.
- Copy of certificate of attendance at IS interpreter training event. . Complete the template in Appendix A to list the trainings you have attended or submit a 200-word justification (written and in International Sign)* about why training has not been attended.
- Two (2) x letters of recommendation from deaf consumers who have experience working with your IS interpreting.
- Two (2) x letters of recommendation from IS interpreters who have been employed by either WASLI or the WFD.
- A letter of recommendation from national deaf or interpreting agents (i.e. associations, representative bodies, private companies).
- 300-word statement reflecting on your strengths and weakness in IS interpreting (written and in International Sign).
- Logbook of contracted IS interpreting bookings. 900 hours for hearing practitioners and 450 hours for
deaf practitioners. Complete the template in Appendix B to list your bookings.
- One (1) video sample for Interpretation Task 1 (English to International Sign) – for both hearing and deaf practitioners (Refer to ‘Video Samples through Canvas’)
- One (1) video sample for Interpretation Task 2 (International Sign to English) – for hearing practitioners only (Refer to ‘Video Samples through Canvas’)
*Provide video URL link (i.e. vimeo, YouTube, or any other video-sharing website) for documents that require International Sign.
**We acknowledge that opportunities vary from country to county. As such, applicants who are unable to submit this document will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Application Form
- Appendix A: List of Interpreter Training
- Appendix B: Logbook of Contracted International Sign Interpreting Bookings
- Appendix C: Video Samples – Interpretation Tasks
- WFD-WASLI International Sign Interpreter Handbook
- WFD-WASLI International Sign Interpreter Approved List of Developing Countries
|STEP 1||STEP 2|
|Email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 6 September 2017 with the following information:
||We will add your email address to CANVAS and send an invitation with a join code. Once you have received it, you are able to create a CANVAS Student account. More information on how to do so can be found here. If CANVAS is new to you, you are advised to spend some time to familiarise with the environment.|
|d||INTERPRETATION TASK 1||INTERPRETATION TASK 2|
|Task Type||English to International Sign||International Sign to English|
|Description||Refer to Appendix C||Refer to Appendix C|
|Eligibility||Deaf and Hearing Applicants||Hearing Applicants only|
|Link to instructions Available in CANVAS||SLOT 1||SLOT 2||SLOT 3||SLOT 4||SLOT 5||SLOT 6|
|11 September 2017||18 September 2017||25 September 2017||18 September 2017||25 September 2017||2 October 2017|
|Deadline||15 September 2017||22 September 2017||30 September 2017||18 September 2017||25 September 2017||2 October 2017|
|Within 5 days||Within 90 minutes|
Email your preferred time slot by to email@example.com by Wednesday 6 September 2017.
(Applicants from developing countries):
| Regular Fee
(Applicants from non-developing countries):
Please send the processing fee via Bank Transfer:
|Account Name:||World Federation of the Deaf|
|Bank Name/Address:||Nordea Bank Finland Plc., Aleksanterinkatu 36, FI-00100 Helsinki|
|International Bank Account Number (IBAN):||FI04 1555 3000 1113 37|
Download the ‘Call for Application 2017’ here: