The World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) is seeking an intern to work for a period of approximately three (3) months:
- In the WFD Secretariat, based in Helsinki, Finland and
- In Istanbul, Turkey, during the XIX WFD General Assembly and XVII World Congress of the WFD
The preferred timing for the internship would be 4 May-2 August 2015. The main period of the internship will be carried out in Helsinki, Finland, whereas the final two weeks will be performed in Istanbul, Turkey.
DESCRIPTION OF INTERNSHIP
The intern will gain familiarity with the WFD’s international human rights work, especially in the framework of the United Nations Human Rights system. The intern will, based on his/her personal competences, contribute to the work of the WFD Secretariat in following subjects:
- Research data on fundraising opportunities
- Develop a database for donations
- Write articles and assist in the compilation work of the bi-monthly published WFD Newsletter
- Update the WFD Website
- Contribute to the development of the WFD website by producing text and video material
Human Rights Work
- Research data on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
WFD General Assembly and World Congress
- Assist in the preparations for the XIX WFD General Assembly and XVII World Congress of the WFD
- Assist the WFD Secretariat in Istanbul, Turkey, in various office duties and at the WFD Exhibition Booth
- Participate in the daily work of the WFD Secretariat
- Perform office duties, as required by the WFD Secretariat Members
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Excellent command of written English, sufficient International Sign skills and the ability to use sign language interpreters
- Possession of analytical skills
- High level computer skills with experience in using and maintaining a website (e.g. word, excel, power point, Word Press)
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Understanding of the United Nations Human Rights Treaty Body system
- Any other good written or sign language skills are considered as an advantage
- Experience in relevant issues in deafness, deaf culture and communication modes.
- Experience in producing various types of texts.
Unfortunately the WFD is not able to offer remuneration, meals or travel for the intern. The intern is required to arrange his/her own accommodation as well as health and travel insurance and visa, both in Finland and in Turkey.
The WFD Secretariat can assist in putting the intern into contact with a possible provider of accommodation and write a letter of support to obtain a visa.
The intern may be able to receive academic credit from the internship, as approved by his/her educational institute. The intern will be designated a supervisor with whom a working plan will be established at the beginning of the internship. An evaluation of the intern’s performance and the programme will be conducted at the end.
To apply, please send:
- A letter of interest describing your experiences, skills and qualifications for the position (max 1 page);
- A CV;
- 1-3 letters of recommendation
For further enquiries, or to apply, please email Ms Meri Hyrske-Fischer, WFD Team Leader: meri.hyrske-fischer (at) wfd.fi
All application materials, written in English, close at 17.00 on Sunday, 22 March, 2015 (Helsinki, Finland).
The interviews via Skype are expected to be carried out on 30 March – 2 April 2015.