The WFD especially congratulates our WFD President, Colin Allen who is elected as Second Vice-Chair of the International Disability Alliance (IDA) Board. And also other IDA Board Members that are elected to cover the following positions:
- Chair, Yannis Vardakastanis (President, European Disability Forum)
- First Vice-Chair, Maryanne Diamond (Immediate Past President, World Blind Union)
- Second Vice-Chair, Colin Allen (President, World Federation of the Deaf)
- Third Vice-Chair, Nawaf Kabbara (President, Arab Organization of Disabled People)
- Treasurer, Ruth Warick (President, International Federation of Hard of Hearing People) and
- General Secretary, Moosa Salie (Co-Chair, World Network of Users and Survivors of Psychiatry).
The International Disability Alliance established in 1999 is a network of global and regional disabled people’s organisations (DPOs). The IDA aims promote the human rights of persons with disabilities as a united organisation of persons with disabilities utilising the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and other human rights instruments. The IDA participates as representatives of representative organisations of persons with disabilities at the national, regional and international levels.
The IDA with member organisations around the world is a voice to an estimation of one billion people worldwide living with a disability. Disabled People’s Organisations are many and are believed to be the largest organisation group and most frequently overlooked minority group. The IDA with its unique composition as a network of the foremost international disability rights organisations is the most authoritative representative voice of persons with disabilities and acknowledged as such by the United Nations system both in New York and Geneva.
More information about the IDA: Click here