The World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) invites the Ordinary Members of the WFD to submit bids to host an XVIII World Congress of the World Federation of the Deaf to be held in July/August 2019.
If your organisation is interested in hosting the XVIII World Congress of the World Federation of the Deaf, please go to the WFD website and download a copy of the WFD Congress Organising Guidelines or you can contact Ms. Phillipa Sandholm, WFD Administrative Secretary via firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a copy of the World Congress Organising Guidelines.
Only an Ordinary Member of the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) may make a bid to host the XVIII World Congress of the WFD. Such bids will be acknowledged by the WFD President and reviewed by the WFD Board not later than six months prior to the WFD General Assembly at which the bid will be presented for consideration.
For the XVIII World Congress of the World Federation of the Deaf, to be held in 2019, the deadline for sending bids to the WFD President is Wednesday, 31 December 2014. The WFD Board will review bids in January 2015.
Between February and April 2015, WFD Board may request for the inspection site of the 2019 WFD Congress Site, to be paid by the bidding Ordinary Members. Bidding Ordinary Members will be notified of the acceptance or rejection of their bids as soon as possible thereafter.
The WFD Board sends the WFD Congress Site Inspection Team to the bidding country to conduct a site inspection of the World Congress and conduct meetings with the bidding Ordinary Member. The Bidding Ordinary Member shall bear financial responsibility for the following:
- WFD Congress Site Inspection Team – Four (4) people total. This includes the WFD President, WFDYS President, WFD Congress Liaison Officer, and one (1) interpreter.
- Airfares – Round trip airline travels to and from the Bidding World Congress Site.
- Meetings – Two (2) days total for World Congress Site Inspection and meetings with the Bidding Ordinary Member.
- Accommodations – Three (3) nights total. Arrival shall be the day prior the start of meetings, with departure the day after meetings end.
- Meals – Four (4) days total for full breakfast, lunch and dinner, from arrival through departure.
- Transportation – Four (4) days total for airport-hotel and local transportation, from arrival through departure.
All accepted bids will then be voted on at the General Assembly in July 2015 in Istanbul, Turkey.
All bids must conform to the following (any bids not doing so will be immediately rejected):
- Bids must provide a copy of the Ordinary Member’s Board Meeting Minutes or General Assembly that endorsed the bidding Ordinary Member to bid for the XVIII World Congress.
- Bids must be signed by the President and Secretary of the bidding Ordinary Member.
- Bids must be accompanied by a letter certifying that the bidding Ordinary Member will assume full responsibility for management of the World Congress and financial arrangements to support the World Congress (as per the sections within the WFD World Congress Organising Guidelines, titled “5.0 Organising Committee Responsibilities” and “5.3 Financial Responsibilities”) including the length of days for the XVIII World Congress.
- Bids must be accompanied by documents indicating the following requirements below have been accomplished:
- Official letters of support indicating willingness to give its support or recognition to sponsoring the World Congress from your country’s
- National Government
- State/provincial/regional government, and
- City government,
At least one letter must be presented from each governmental level.
- At least two letters from corporations or foundations, all of which commit the writers to contribute a combined total of at least 80,000 Euros towards the costs of the World Congress if the country’s bid is successful.
- Require that any national bid must show proof of having at least 40,000 Euros in start-up money.
- Require proof that at least two people will be hired full-time to work on preparations for the World Congress within three months after winning the bid. One of these people should be hired by the professional congress organiser; the other should be hired by the national organisation or the independent organising corporation.
Bids without such governmental endorsement will be immediately rejected.
In addition to the above, bids should be accompanied by the following essential information:
- Materials about the national host organisation wishing to host the Congress
- Materials about the proposed Congress venueandthe budget of theCongress
- Previously hosted an international deaf event attended by at least 500 people
- Reasons and Purpose for having the Congress in the proposed country
- Any other relevant supporting documents.
The deadline for WFD Congress Bid is Wednesday, 31 December 2014.
World Federation of the Deaf
PO Box 65