Hello! It is my pleasure to sign about the WFD’s activities this past year 2012. Lots of interesting things happened.
- WFD became a legal direct employer and directly employs the administration team based in the WFD office in Helsinki, Finland
- WFD in signing a Memorandum of Understanding with the Korean Federation for the Protection of the Disabled in Helsinki, Finland. This memorandum presents a great opportunity to work with members of the Deaf Community in North Korea.
- President’s 50th birthday donation
- More cooperation with other organizations such as IFHOH, CBM, IDE, etc
- WCAR Project ends in April
- Attended Panamanian National Association of the Deaf and Panamanian Sign Language Interpreters’ Association conference along with WASLI, working together to support the deaf community
- Attended the First Forum of Deaf Training for Deaf Women in Qatar along with WFDYS President Jenny Nilsson and EUD President Berglind Stefánsdóttir. Important to show solidarity and support for deaf women.
- Cooperation agreement with European Union of the Deaf (EUD)
- Successful fundraising organised by the National Association of the Deaf, USA
- More International sign in use in UN webcast, including WFD President chairing the opening session of the 5th Session of the Conference of State Parties and WFDYS President Jenny Nilsson in the panel discussion along with UN and UNICEF representatives on women and children with disabilities
- Successful Board meetings in Louisville, Kentucky, USA and Geneva, Switzerland – thank you to the host OMs organisers.
- Signing of the contract between OM Turkey and WFD on organising the 17th WFD World Congress
- WFD Honorary President received his honorary doctorate from Gallaudet University
- Funding support for 2012 from the Finnish Government
- International Week of the Deaf Facebook – Sign bilingualism is a human right!
- WHO Disability report in International Sign
On behalf of the WFD board and staff, I wish to thank you for your belief in and support of the WFD. Without your support, WFD would not be able to continue to fight for human rights for 70 million deaf people.
All of us extend best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and a happy and prosperous New Year 2013!